0 0 LAURA FRANGELLA https://drfrangella.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/frangella-logo.png LAURA FRANGELLA2012-12-31 17:58:132012-12-31 17:58:13What is the Best Mouthwash For Me? Decoding The Label Part III
In the effort to help you navigate the dental aisle more effectively today’s post is all about mouthwash. So, what is the best mouthwash for you? There are a lot of products to choose from that is for sure. Between rinses that whiten, freshen your breath, reduce plaque and so on, the choices are endless. First and foremost you should know what you are looking for in a mouthwash and what some of the key ingredients are. Here is a little “how-to” regarding picking out the best mouthwash for you. Generally, most of the population can make great use out of a daily fluoride rinse as well as a general mouthwash to aid in reduction of harmful bacteria. We also suggest a regimen that includes a rinse to reduce acidity in the oral environment
- Anti-septic and anti-plaque: these products have ingredients that kill bacteria that can cause gingivitis, plaque and bad breath. Some of the ingredients used to do this are: Cetylpyridinium Chloride or (CPC), Domiphen Bromide, or denatured alcohol. And, most have about 20-25% effectiveness in reducing the plaque the causes gingivitis.
- Whitening: This usually means that there is some percentage of hydrogen peroxide included in the rinse. Most over the counter products will have a percentage that is under 10% hydrogen peroxide.
- Fluoride: This is a product that helps to strengthen enamel helping to reduce cavities
- Sodium Saccharin, Xylitol, Sorbitol, Sodium Cyclamate: These ingredients flavor the toothpaste.
- Propylene Glycol, Glycerol, and Polyethylene Glycol: These ingredients help keep the rinse moist and have a good mouth feel
- Sodium Benzoate and Methyl Paraben: These ingredients aid in stopping the rinse from decaying or growing bacteria.